Updates to F8 (was: [Fedora Update] [stable] fakeroot-1.11-19.fc8)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Dec 24 13:46:14 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 02:36:13PM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-12-21 at 21:54 +0000, updates at fedoraproject.org wrote:
> > athimm has requested the pushing of the following update stable:
> >
> > ================================================================================
> >      fakeroot-1.11-19.fc8
> > ================================================================================
> >     Release: Fedora 8
> >        Type: enhancement
> >       Karma: 0
> >     Request: stable
> >   Submitter: athimm
> >   Submitted: 2008-12-21 21:54:06
> >    Comments: athimm - 2008-12-21 21:54:07 (karma 0)
> >              This update has been submitted for stable
> >
> >   http://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/fakeroot-1.11-19.fc8
> >

> Why is there a major version change (1.9.7 -> 1.11.19) going directly
> into stable on F8 (which has days to live) without any information for
> users what so ever that this update is providing.  Please provide some
> details for users and reconsider if this update is really suitable for
> F8.

As others wrote, the comment part would be either bloated with miriads
of uninteresting bug fixes, or a trivial one like "updated to latest
upstream release".

There isn't anything significant standing out, yet some dependent
projects would like an upgrade. Mentioning this in the update notes
could flesh it out, but would be uninteresting to the non-consumers of
these projects. Anyway I'll try to make a better comment next time.

> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/MaintainerResponsibility#Maintain_stability_for_users

Some projects are still based on F8, and of course we will drop
support for it, but until its EOL F8 is supposed to be well supported,
and F8 consumers are begging to push out fixes before it goes EOL -
obviously they do intend to remain longer on F8, something we don't
actively encourage, but if people are asking for this shortly before
Xmas I'm too soft to say nay. ;)

Otherwise we should consider an offcial two phase support scheme where
functionality/enhancements/minor bugs are phased out earlier than the
final EOL. That way packagers would have a target line of what makes
sense to backpackage and when to not. Currently everyone draws this
line arbitrary from the release of the next Fedora release to the
actual EOL date.

E.g. it boils down to different interpretations of what people
consider a live/supported release, and what that support means in
what proximity of the EOL date.

BTW having said all that there is indeed very high demand to keep F8
running longer than the usual Fedora release. Just noting and passing
on the observation.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net