Re: rawhide report: 20081223 changes

Le Mer 24 décembre 2008 18:39, Jesse Keating a écrit :
> On Wed, 2008-12-24 at 11:36 -0600, Callum Lerwick wrote:
>> Noisy minority fallacy. I for one don't think it really matters and
>> if
>> anything has been an excellent exercise of our internationalization
>> capability. Look what it has done, it's tested the data flow from
>> the
>> developers text editor, through CVS, through our build system, our
>> reporting tools, the mailing list, everyone's mail clients, RPM,
>> yum,
>> PackageKit...
>
> Which could have easily been accomplished by the unicode bullet point.
> Or maybe the existing unicode chars in the developer names.

Unfortunately experience shows that different software will block on
different unicode points if its UTF-8 support is incomplete. And the
first reaction of a developper will always be to shoot the messenger
instead of fixing its app, as this thread shows.

Most developpers will be intimidated in not using anything but ASCII
in their names as soon as they hit someone else's bug.

--
Nicolas Mailhot