a plan for updates after end of life

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon Feb 11 21:54:16 UTC 2008

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 06:39:54PM -0300, Horst H. von Brand wrote:
> Arjan van de Ven <arjan at infradead.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 11:04:22 +0100
> > Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > Does this looks like a plan acceptable by the Fedora lead?
>
> > > Opinions, comments?
>
> > My first impression is... "ok so there's now a formal process, and the
> > result is that there is no branch ever that uses this". The chances of
> > finding sufficient capable volunteers for even the base package set
> > is... near zero.
>
> In calculus they called this number \epsilon ;-)

You cannot say if you haven't asked. It was in one of the points of the
proposal, to start only if there is a maintainer willing to maintain
each of the packages in  the mandatory and default packages of the
Core+Base comps groups.

> There just seems not to be enough /real/ demand to keep it running for a
> reasonable amount of time. The demand is more a "it sure sounds nice to be
> able to run the same Fedora for 5 years, in case the versions in between
> turn out duds", but very few really contemplate suffering such outdated
> stuff; and in my experience people who run old versions are also the same
> who don't ever apply any updates.

The point is not here. As long as people are willing to do some work it
is relevant to let them do it. The demand is irrelevant here, we are
producing a 'Public Good'.

--
Pat