Head Up: Prepare for dropping fuse group in the nearest future

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Thu Feb 7 04:15:45 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 23:03 -0500, Warren Togami wrote:
> Peter Lemenkov wrote:
> > Hello All!
> >
> > Due to landing of upcoming Gnome release in Fedora 9 I decided to drop
> > fuse group.
> >
> > The main reason is that future Gnome VFS will use fuse as a backend,
> > and we wil be forced to add all users into fuse group (if we allow
> > them to use Gnome VFS) what will made the existence of fuse group
> > useless..
> >
> > Any objections?
>
> Is it really necessary to drop the fuse group for GNOME to do what it
> wants to do?  Sounds like it wont be.

If you don't drop the group requirement, then people simply won't get
their gvfs mounts mounted via fuse in ~/.gvfs. Unless they accidentally
stumble over the fact that they could become a member of the fuse
group... it is not the end of the world, since gnome applications will
happily work with gvfs and don't need those fuse mounts. But it makes
fuse pretty much useless for the average user.