F9A Install: No Volume Groups Found

Chris Snook csnook at redhat.com
Thu Feb 7 19:11:15 UTC 2008

Thomas J. Baker wrote:
> I just installed Fedora 9 alpha on an x86_64 server (several times
> actually) and after a seemingly uneventful install, it won't boot saying
> it can't find any volume groups. There is nothing unusual about the
> server. In fact, I installed Fedora 8 by mistake (too many net install
> choices) in the last couple of days and it worked fine . I am using an
> LVM structure made by Fedora 8 a few months ago but I'm reformatting all
> LVs in it. I initially thought it was related to trying to test ext4 but
> I just did a very plain install without ext4 and that also failed. The
> console doesn't show any notable error related to the SCSI disks but
> fails when it can't find any logical volumes.
>
> I've tried installing from F9A and from current Rawhide but keep getting
> this same error. I've also disabled selinux by adding selinux=0 to the
> kernel command line but that didn't help.
>
> Any ideas? Kernel bug? LVM bug? Initrd bug?

Dunno, but I had this problem using an upstream 2.6.24 kernel built with the
2.6.24-9 rawhide kernel .config, using rawhide initscripts, nash, and
kernel-utils.  It worked fine with the F8 kernel .config and the rawhide
userspace packages.  The rawhide kernel itself boots though.  I haven't had time
to track it down.

	-- Chris