to autodownload or not to autodownload

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Fri Feb 8 19:01:56 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-08 at 20:01 +0100, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > On Feb 8, 2008 9:45 AM, Arthur Pemberton<pemboa at gmail.com>  wrote:
> >> These kind of questions come up often, a clear wiki page may be in order.
> >
> > Uhm is the page we offer through codeina not clear enough?
> >
> > -jef
> >

> O rly? Codeina offers commercial codecs, for which we should pay, while
> Fedora should ship "best free and open source software".
>
> It's hypocritical...

No it's not, there legal issues that prevent Fedora from shipping
certain bits because of *Patent* Law, even if the *Copyright* License is
Free/Open Source.

For those bits the only *LEGAL* way to have them in some countries is by
paying a royalty.

Fedora does not directly offer such bits, but only points people at
where they can *Legally* obtain them if they want.

If you don't like this situation you have to complain against the laws
that enact such imposition, it's not Fedora's fault.

And *please* can you document yourself before your next boutade? It's
not like the first time you shout unsubstantiated criticism in the face
of Fedora developers, it's not really amusing.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York