to autodownload or not to autodownload

Trond Danielsen trond.danielsen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 23:10:09 UTC 2008

On Feb 8, 2008 10:50 PM, Matej Cepl <mcepl at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 2008-02-08, 18:57 GMT, Trond Danielsen wrote:
> > 1. Online-desktop: The world of free software has "fought"
> > proprietary software for many years, only to partner up with
> > the WWW behemoth that Google is.
>
> Nobody partnered with anybody.

Sorry for the wrong choice of word. The purpose of the argument was
that Fedora already depend on proprietary services and software which
makes the argument against the autodownloader invalid.

> > The purpose of the online-desktop is to integrate online
> > services like flickr and Google with the rest of the system.
>
> No, it isn't -- just f*cking find some background for your
> assertions. Yes, online desktop currently has to use proprietary
> services as background, but mugshot itself is free and anybody is
> free to build their own free (probably in terms of "free speach",
> not "free beer", because somebody has to pay for bandwidth)
> online services. When there will be whole online desktop working
> connecting to other service is just a matter of writing
> appropriate connectors.

I am well aware of Mugshot and what it is about. I am sorry if I
offended you and questioned the motives of the Online Desktop project,
but I still think it is reasonable to ask critical questions with
regard to the "freeness" of online services like Facebook and Google
and how they are integrated and promoted through free software.

> "Is this really clueless-are-let-out day?"

Daily beating with a cluestick is the path to enlightenment :-)

--
Trond Danielsen