Re: to autodownload or not to autodownload

Dnia 2008-02-08, o godz. 22:08:24 Kevin Kofler <kevin kofler chello at>
napisaƂ(a):

> I agree, Codeina is a really bad idea, as it promotes proprietary software.
>
> By the way, I also think browsers offering to automatically install the
> Flash plugin should be fixed not to do that (also for purely practical
> reasons: for those who want the proprietary plugin, there's a yum repository
> which allows it to be installed in a way which integrates with the system in
> a cleaner way, if the browser installs it, it is a mess to keep up to date!).
So if Codeina and autodownloader stay, why can't we add Adobe's yum repo to
the default configuration? We all know there's never be a way to replace Flash
(other than for playing ads which don't use any streaming) and in Adobe's case,
they're obviously Fedora-friendly (yum repo) and there's no way to infringe
on anything.

With that repo in place, browsers (after asking the user, of course) could
simply run the yum GUI of the day asking it to install flash-plugin. The
second most frequently asked question about how to make Fedora usable is gone.
Think about it.

Lam