Re: to autodownload or not to autodownload

Chris Adams <cmadams <at> hiwaay.net> writes:
> Does codecbuddy point to the open source MP3 plugin or a proprietary MP3
> plugin?

Something inbetween... From a pure copyright standpoint, Fluendo's plugin is
Free Software (MIT X11 license), however the patent license only extends to the
unmodified binary as distributed by Fluendo (which is also why it can't be
redistributed in Fedora without violating the "we always build from source"
policy), which effectively makes it non-Free software for people in countries
where a patent license is needed (and I assume that's a second reason why
Fedora doesn't include it). (Of course, that's an improvement over the other
implementations which can't be distributed at all in the US, but calling that
arrangement "Free Software" is a bit of a stretch.)

        Kevin Kofler