Re: to autodownload or not to autodownload

On 02/10/2008 08:31 AM, Jaroslaw Gorny wrote:
On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 13:58:54 -0500

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 20:01:23 +0100
"Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek" <jakub rusinek gmail com> wrote:

O rly? Codeina offers commercial codecs, for which we should pay,
while Fedora should ship "best free and open source software".

It's hypocritical...
If you ran the app, you would have seen ( well except for a very bad
bug in F8 release :/  ):

Proprietary and free formats

(...)
You are then linked to: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CodecBuddy

OK. But why are we advertising a commercial company?

If users want to get non-free items, I would MUCH rather usher them to the legal way to do so versus the illegal way. Fluendo is currently the only legal way we can offer for the US and some other countries.

A different way to phrase the question is: why is nobody else providing a different legal way for users? We would gladly point to multiple ways to get the codecs and let the user decide which one to download from.