Re: to autodownload or not to autodownload

Christopher Aillon wrote:
On 02/10/2008 08:31 AM, Jaroslaw Gorny wrote:
On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 13:58:54 -0500

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 20:01:23 +0100
"Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek" <jakub rusinek gmail com> wrote:

O rly? Codeina offers commercial codecs, for which we should pay,
while Fedora should ship "best free and open source software".

It's hypocritical...
If you ran the app, you would have seen ( well except for a very bad
bug in F8 release :/  ):

Proprietary and free formats

(...)
You are then linked to: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CodecBuddy

OK. But why are we advertising a commercial company?

If users want to get non-free items, I would MUCH rather usher them to the legal way to do so versus the illegal way. Fluendo is currently the only legal way we can offer for the US and some other countries.

The same argument could be used for autodownloader, if someone wants to play quake, I much rather have they use autodl to download a legal version then use some pirated full version.

I really must say I don't understand how people can have an issue with autodownloader and at the same time defend codina. To me that is nothing shirt of hypocritical.

Regards,

Hans