Any possibility of getting this software installer coded and in fedora (9 or 10)?

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 20:20:09 UTC 2008

2008/2/11, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com>:
> On Feb 11, 2008 9:46 AM, Mark <markg85 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2008/2/10, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com>:
> > >
> > > Did you explain why you need a java api?  Did i miss that?
> >
> > I thought i told that in my first post but apparently i didn't.
> > I need java because it's the only decent programming language that i
> > can do at the moment. I can do php but that isn't good for
> > applications. Also i could learn Python but i rather skip it all
> > together and get strait to c and c++ but that won't happen anytime
> > soon.
>

> Here's the thing... as a project we've got a significant amount of
> code and momentum invested in python.  If you want to work on this in
> java only because you know java best, I am going to strongly suggest
> you reconsider this.  If you need to use java because you have some
> local technical need for a java class to interface with existing java
> code that you have, that would be an entirely different thing.  But if
> the main goal here is to give back your work to this project and have
> an impact, its not necessarily the best use of your time to code a
> java frontend to packgekit. Yes it can be done, but it might not be
> the best thing to do to meet your primary goal.
>
> If your goal is to make a long term impact on what Fedora is actually
> doing, you'll have a much easier time of it if you bite the bullet and
> start learning some python now.  It's extremely unlikely that we'll be
> moving our toolbase to java or including a java frontend in our
> default release offerings. if anything, if you create something clever
> and compelling in java, someone else will redo it in python so that
> its more easily consumable and reusable by the project directly.
>
> -jef

Oke that makes sense. and what about a c/c++ frontend? that's what i
actually want to do with java just as a step between it. Just asking
and seeing if that might be a good possibility. I won't make that
anytime soon because i have no c/c++ knowledge at the moment or
anytime soon (as in 1+ years or so).