Re: How important are ISO standards to Fedora?

On Feb 13, 2008 6:26 AM, Bill Nottingham <notting redhat com> wrote:
> Rodd Clarkson (rodd clarkson id au) said:
> > Right, so where does paper sizing fit into this?
> >
> > Wouldn't it be more correct for Fedora to default to the ISO standard
> > for paper (A4, etc) than to the US standard for paper (letter, etc)?
>
> No. Use LC_PAPER.

I'm looking through the s-c-printer code in f8.  And it looks like
LC_MESSAGES is being used.
/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py:

  self.language = locale.getlocale(locale.LC_MESSAGES)

and then...

  cupshelpers.setPPDPageSize(ppd, self.language[0])

and. setPPDPageSize from cupshelpers.py sets Letter for a narrow set of locales.

Perhaps there is a bug here, but it certainly appears to me that the
intent is to do the right thing based on locale.

-jef