Re: How important are ISO standards to Fedora?

Rodd Clarkson wrote:
On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 15:56 +1000, Jens Petersen wrote:
It may be hard to do in system-config-date, but getting the default right would be nice I agree.

Rodd Clarkson wrote:
[rodd localhost system-config-printer]$ echo $LC_PAPER
[rodd localhost system-config-printer]$ echo $LC_MESSAGES
Try running "locale".

[rodd localhost ~]$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
[rodd localhost ~]$
So, let me get this straight.  All of this was set because I said I
wanted my computer to speak English (USA)?

If this is the case, then anaconda really needs a little more smarts
than making the assumption that because I choose to use a language I
must live where that language is spoken.  Maybe anaconda needs to ask a
for more questions about my location before setting my locale?

R.

How about address this whole Letter vs A4 issue by putting an option in S-C-P that change the paper size...

Server Settings --> Set default paper/media size to [ users choose the A4 or Letter ] and S-C-P changes it where it needs to be change for example
the option  might change LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8" to LC_PAPER="en_GB.UTF-8"...

Best regards.
                    Johann B.
begin:vcard
fn:Johann B.  Gudmundsson
n:Gudmundsson;Johann B.
org:Reiknistofnun - University of Iceland;IT Management
adr:Dunhagi 5;;Taeknigardur;Reykavik;;107;Iceland
email;internet:johannbg hi is
title:Unix System Engineer RHCE,CCSA
tel;work:+3545254267
tel;fax:+3545528801