Re: Anaconda needs new locale thinking. (was Re: How important are ISO standards to Fedora?)

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 1:04 PM, Rodd Clarkson <rodd clarkson id au> wrote:
 I may use English US on my computer, but I measure using metric, and
 format my dates DD-MM-YYYY and my printer uses A4.  Anaconda doesn't get
 any of the latter right, and that's just plain wrong.

Here's a better question. Why are you using US English? Why aren't you
using another English locale?

I strongly believe that exposing locale customizations to the extent
necessary to make you happy in anaconda is a really dumb idea.  This
sort of stuff is a PER USER configuration which is too complicated for
the installer to need to mess with.

We set a sane default in the installer based on the locale, and then
the installer gets the hell out of the way.  if you want to make PER
USER customizations, then figure out a way to expose PER USER
customizations for the different locale based settings.

-jef

+1 Exactly as it should be. :)

Best regards.
                 Johann B.