Anaconda needs new locale thinking. (was Re: How important are ISO standards to Fedora?)

Ola Thoresen redhat at olen.net
Fri Feb 15 07:11:23 UTC 2008

Christian Rose wrote:
> On 2/14/08, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 1:04 PM, Rodd Clarkson <rodd at clarkson.id.au> wrote:
>>  >  I may use English US on my computer, but I measure using metric, and
>>  >  format my dates DD-MM-YYYY and my printer uses A4.  Anaconda doesn't get
>>  >  any of the latter right, and that's just plain wrong.
>>
>> Here's a better question. Why are you using US English? Why aren't you
>>  using another English locale?
>
> Probably because of language differences?

One reason is that when you get an error message, you know it will be in
the language most other users and developers have configured - which
makes searching for solutions and adding bugs to bugzilla much easier.

(...)

> To make it more clear: This is about modifying Anaconda to distinguish
> LANGUAGE from LOCATION, instead of making some messed up assumption
> about the latter from the former.

I agree.
And Aanaconda already asks about location - when you set the timezone.
So it should not be to hard to add a few lines on that screen,
explaining that this will also affect other settings, such as paper size
and date formatting, and set the LC_* accordingly.

--