Re: Anaconda needs new locale thinking. (was Re: How important are ISO standards to Fedora?)

Christian Rose wrote:
On 2/14/08, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta gmail com> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 1:04 PM, Rodd Clarkson <rodd clarkson id au> wrote:
 >  I may use English US on my computer, but I measure using metric, and
 >  format my dates DD-MM-YYYY and my printer uses A4.  Anaconda doesn't get
 >  any of the latter right, and that's just plain wrong.

Here's a better question. Why are you using US English? Why aren't you
 using another English locale?

Probably because of language differences?

One reason is that when you get an error message, you know it will be in the language most other users and developers have configured - which makes searching for solutions and adding bugs to bugzilla much easier.

(...)

To make it more clear: This is about modifying Anaconda to distinguish
LANGUAGE from LOCATION, instead of making some messed up assumption
about the latter from the former.

I agree.
And Aanaconda already asks about location - when you set the timezone.
So it should not be to hard to add a few lines on that screen, explaining that this will also affect other settings, such as paper size and date formatting, and set the LC_* accordingly.

--