Anaconda needs new locale thinking. (was Re: How important are ISO standards to Fedora?)

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 10:06:46 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 11:56 +0200, Pekka Pietikainen wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 01:53:20PM -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 1:04 PM, Rodd Clarkson <rodd at clarkson.id.au> wrote:
> > >  I may use English US on my computer, but I measure using metric, and
> > >  format my dates DD-MM-YYYY and my printer uses A4.  Anaconda doesn't get
> > >  any of the latter right, and that's just plain wrong.
> >
> > Here's a better question. Why are you using US English? Why aren't you
> > using another English locale?
> Brits spell some words in a funny way (I wonder if anyone bothers
> "translating" US vs. brit spelling in software tho) ;)

Well, I'd say Americans spell some words in a funny way... And yep, they
bother, I use en_GB and I see the differences.

I am not generally opposed to anaconda be able to set differently
language and all other locales. Just instead of screen with
Language/Keyboard have screen with Location (or Locales or
st.)/Language/Keyboard and you are IMO set. No need to tweak each locale
setting differently, but treat language setting differently from other
locale settings is probably needed.

Martin