ISO 216 vs U.S. paper

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Fri Feb 15 11:17:43 UTC 2008

Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 22:54 +0000, Johann B. Gudmundsson wrote:
>
>> I've done no printer configuration what so ever..
>>

> To some extent it's more informative to
> a) configure the system language
> b) reboot so all system daemons get started in the correct locale, and
> c) try the print dialog for each application, selecting that printer

I did.
> The reason this test might be more revealing is that the actual correct
> paper size for the printer is right there in the printer's PPD.  If the
> applications aren't getting it from that, they are just guessing.

There was no printer hook up to the labtop.
I had not configured cups in any way nor was cupsd was not running.
And I'm not sure where cups fits this scenario ( yet.. )

Gedit is set to A4 <--- ISO 216 Why is gedit set to A4 while the rest of
my system is set to en_US-UTF-8
Gthumb is set to A4 <--- ISO 216 Why is gthumb set to A4 while the rest
of my system is set to en_US-UTF-8
( My keyboard is set to Icelandic, but  I dont think that matters )

What I'm talking about is consistency in applications that support
printing and their default paper size.
Why do Gedit and Gthumb have their default settings set to A4 while the
other are set to US.Letter
Application that offer printing should be getting their default paper
size from the same location and hence
they should all default to the same paper size.
Where they get these settings are irrelevent  it can be a file called
"I CONTAIN THE DEFAULT PAPER SIZE SETTINGS FOR ALL APPLICATION THAT
SUPPORT PRINTING.txt"
or LC_MESSAGES or LC_PAPER...

But they should all get their paper size settings from the same location!
When they do, then and only then can a tool be develope to change
default paper size...

Best regard.
                Johann B.