Re: Git has too many freaking dependencies

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 07:23:06PM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>> Le vendredi 15 février 2008 à 11:13 -0500, Yaakov Nemoy a écrit :
>>
>>> Before I go and submit a bug, I would like to ask why git requires
>>> that i install so many dependencies?
>>
>> Because git is not git, git is a metapackage.
>> Welcome to metapackage hell.
>>

> +1, I believe this actally is a bug, almost no other package has this, most
> other packages have:
> foo (which contains the core_
> foo-addon1
> foo-addon2
>
> etc. and then if you really want all you can just do:
> yum install 'foo*'
>
> Can we please stop this meta package bs, it hit me too with git, and I do
> not consider myself a novice when I say:
> "yum install git"
> I mean:
> "yum install git"
> and not
> "yum install git and anything vaguely git related including an fscking
> emacs add-on which drags in a whopping XX MB of emacs"

FWIW Kristian Høgsberg has sent a patch upstream to make their
'git-core' be just 'git'. Assuming there is no violent opposition from
the git list, we'll follow suit in Fedora.

As for yum doing what you say and not what you mean, that is a bug.
Please bring it up with Seth personally.

-James