Re: 3 simple steps to make booting/shutdown faster...

On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 08:15 -0800, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> udev is a different story entirely. It's so incredibly slow that it's just outrageous.
> The Linux distro that came with my laptop took less time from hitting the power button
> to full desktop login completed than Fedora takes in the udev step alone.
> *sad*.
> On my compile box at work, udev takes about one minute to start
> *more sad*

I remember there was a thread about this some months (year?) ago.
Someone concluded that udev spends most of its time waiting for
modprobes calculate parse the dependencies file on each modprobe
invocation. He suggested caching the parsed data or moving the logic
into udev.