default mail client

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Thu Feb 21 18:28:36 UTC 2008

Tomas Mraz <tmraz at redhat.com> writes:

> How much Evolution crashes highly depends on the usage patterns. For me
> it almost completely stopped crashing after upgrade to Fedora 8. Not
> that it is without other annoying problems but as for crashing it is
> fine with my usage patterns.

Add the Exchange Connector and Evolution is hopelessly useless
(frequent crashes, eventually a crash per email sent). It got even
worse in Fedora 8 than it was in 7. It's so bad that I've switched to
Outlook on a Windows Terminal Server.

That of course isn't an argument that Thunderbird is better, because
Thunderbird doesn't have an Exchange connector at all. Also, it isn't
particularly new that it's difficult for free software to work with
undocumented proprietary protocols. If only there was a replacement
for Exchange with a good Linux and Windows client (web applications
don't cut it and shared calendars are a must).

/Benny