Re: default mail client

Once upon a time, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas mailhot laposte net> said:
> You could do a lot of what imap offers just by standardising the MUA
> backends to maildir, but everybody talks about the UI and forgets the
> backend part (in fact it's quite surprising we managed to get good imap
> servers out since we insist on using last century's tech with mbox and
> sendmail as our defaults)

Maildir solves one problem with mbox (deleting an arbitrary message)
while making a whole bunch of new ones (the biggest being a directory
with 10,000 files is not good).  Dovecot's mbox+index seems to work
pretty well in my experience.

I find it funny that at the same time NNTP servers were moving away from
a one-file-per-message storage format due to the many problems, Maildir
(and its variants) was trying to move towards that format.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams hiwaay net>