Re: Proposal: stop configuring soundcards through /etc/modprobe.conf

Lennart Poettering wrote:
On Thu, 21.02.08 19:32, Hans de Goede (j w r degoede hhs nl) wrote:

2) I think we should be giving the pulseaudio tools more generic names, an
average user probably has no idea what pa is, and this might not use menu
   entries with pa in the name.

Hmm? What do you mean? The menu item is called "PulseAudio Volume
Control". The "Volume Control" is pretty generic, isn't it? I thought
we had kind of a policy of naming the menu items in the form "NAME
GENERICNAME" as in "Firefox Web Browser" instead of just "Firefox" or
"Web Browser". And "PulseAudio Volume Control" follows this scheme
kind of, doesn't it?

It does, my concern is that "joe the average user" when looking for someway to control the volume, will expect something name just "Volume Control", and may not try to start "PulseAudio Volume Control", or atleast not after trying many other options, because he has no idea what PulseAudio is, and unfamiliar makes unloved / he might find it "scary".

With regards to this it would also help if the gnome-panel volume applet would start pavucontrol now a days instead of the gnome mixer (or maybe adapt its behaviour depending on if pa is running or not), if people agree with this I can file a bug for it.

Or do you complain about the binary name? If so, does the binary name
really matter?

No the binary name is fine.

Regards,

Hans