Proposal: stop configuring soundcards through /etc/modprobe.conf

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Tue Feb 26 18:14:18 UTC 2008

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Thu, 21.02.08 19:32, Hans de Goede (j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl) wrote:
>
>> 2) I think we should be giving the pulseaudio tools more generic names, an
>>    average user probably has no idea what pa is, and this might not use
>> menu
>>    entries with pa in the name.
>
> Hmm? What do you mean? The menu item is called "PulseAudio Volume
> Control". The "Volume Control" is pretty generic, isn't it? I thought
> we had kind of a policy of naming the menu items in the form "NAME
> GENERICNAME" as in "Firefox Web Browser" instead of just "Firefox" or
> "Web Browser". And "PulseAudio Volume Control" follows this scheme
> kind of, doesn't it?

It does, my concern is that "joe the average user" when looking for someway to
control the volume, will expect something name just "Volume Control", and may
not try to start "PulseAudio Volume Control", or atleast not after trying many
other options, because he has no idea what PulseAudio is, and unfamiliar makes
unloved / he might find it "scary".

With regards to this it would also help if the gnome-panel volume applet would
start pavucontrol now a days instead of the gnome mixer (or maybe adapt its
behaviour depending on if pa is running or not), if people agree with this I
can file a bug for it.

> Or do you complain about the binary name? If so, does the binary name
> really matter?

No the binary name is fine.

Regards,

Hans