sense of packaging firefox' addons?

Brad Walker me at bradmwalker.com
Wed Feb 27 21:38:37 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 21:35 +0100, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
> hi,
>
> I saw Ubuntu is puting Firefox' addons to repo.
>
> I wonder why, while Firefox has now integrated search for addons and
> better addons site is planned...
>
> I don't think we should package extensions, but what do you think about
> that situation in U?

Extensions packaged through rpm/yum install site-wide. This makes sense for some extensions that every user on a machine might want, like AdBlock Plus or other popular extensions. This makes as much sense as the java plugin, gnash plugin or adobe's plugins.

Also, rpm/yum FF extensions make sense for extensions that administrators want to install on a large number of machines. A network-local yum repository would allow control over the version of the extension. One shell script could install the extension on the machines remotely.

Some extensions include compiled code and might only be installable through yum/rpm on some architectures. Example: HTML Validator - http://users.skynet.be/mgueury/mozilla/

Brad Walker