upstart testers wanted!

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Wed Feb 27 22:40:38 UTC 2008

Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:
>>>>
>>> Seems to work flawlessly. I have no SELinux on this HP nc2400 laptop
>>> but upstart boots it like a charm.
>>>
>>> I don't notice much increase in bootup speed, but shutdown is
>>> *considerably* quicker!
>>>

>> Do you have numbers? I'm not sure why it would be significantly
>> different
>> at all; it's still running the same shutdown scripts.
>>
>> Bill
>>

> I don't have numbers, but subjectively, shutdown or restart are faster
> than before.  Don't subjectively see a decrease in startup. BTW, show
> details in RHGB doesn't work after swaps activated msg displayed.
> Still looking into this....

Maybe I spoke too soon....after clicking on restart from gnome desktop,
a long period of time passes before the graphical desktop disappears.
Restart is very fast after that.  Is this upstart or gnome?  Total time
is now much longer (subjectively) and I believe my earlier assessment
was faulty since that restart was immediately after installing upstart.

(BTW, have removed rhgb from grub menu since can't use interactive
service startup with it.  I see this is covered in bz 433156.  Maybe
upstart install should check and remove grub rhgb parm until solution
coded.)

Not seeing any other issues, but don't know if upstart is any advantage
at present.