sense of packaging firefox' addons?

Randy Wyatt rwwyatt01 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 03:24:06 UTC 2008

Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 05:37:35PM -0800, Andrew Farris wrote:
>> can simply click an .xpi and restart their browser.  Frankly, if you set
>> aside security or stability concerns, it seems like a *major waste* to go
>> to the effort of packaging extensions.  The existing framework for their
>> deployment works very well.

All,
   Look at the number of updates for certain critical extensions such as
NoScript,  and then judge about security versus maintainability.  Quite
Often, the update within Firefox doesn't contain the latest version.  I
would much rather the users take a suggestion about which updates should
be included if a popup appears when they start their browser.

And I keep a running log of the latest and greatest software which they
have learned through extreme coercive techniques to consult before
installing something willy-nilly

Randy