Re: Still unable to get anywhere after rawhide update (evdev problem)

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, Paul F. Johnson wrote:

After the update to xorg-x11-drv-evdev and the associated xorg-x11-server
packages, I've found that I can't log in via gdm (it accepts the username,
but then fails to start the desktop session).

If it's rawhide, I have the same problem on this Duo non-x86_64 system.

I'm unable to drop down to a
console using ctrl-alt-f1 to see what the problem is.

Same.

I reboot, but this time to runlevel3. I can't fire up X from the command
line and get 2 errors. One saying that it found inet at line 915 (no idea
what that is talking about!) and the other that the lights at 0x0 are off
(I'm not at the machine causing the problems, so these reports are more or
less correct, but probably not exactly what is said).

I boot with "S" (single user) then run "init 4" from the prompt, log in as a regular user and run "startx". It works like a charm. So in my case atleast it's a gdm or console-kit issue of some kind. Haven't had time to downgrade evdev though.

Linus