system-* tools' ui independence

Trond Danielsen trond.danielsen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 09:23:09 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 5:08 PM, Kelly Miller <lightsolphoenix at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/28/08, Matej Cepl <mcepl at redhat.com> wrote:
>  > On 2008-02-28, 05:45 GMT, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
>  > > Sometimes I have broken xorg.conf and no copy on Internet so
>  > > then some tool is needed.
>  >
>  > Since FC6 everything Should Work™ even without any
>  > /etc/X11/xorg.conf whatsoever.
>  >
>  > Matěj
>
>  Not so; I know for a fact that a Synaptics Touchpad will not work
>  unless there's an entry in xorg.conf for it.  There are probably
>  others as well.

I've had Synaptics on three laptops (Dell Inspiron 8100, Asus S5A and
Lenovo ThinkPad T61p), and the touchpad work on all of them. The
SHMConfig option is only needed to access additional configuration
options, but basic functionality is available without any
modifications to xorg.conf.

--
Trond Danielsen