Re: system-* tools' ui independence

Trond Danielsen <trond danielsen gmail com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 5:08 PM, Kelly Miller <lightsolphoenix gmail com> wrote:
> > On 2/28/08, Matej Cepl <mcepl redhat com> wrote:
> >  > On 2008-02-28, 05:45 GMT, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
> >  > > Sometimes I have broken xorg.conf and no copy on Internet so
> >  > > then some tool is needed.
> >  > Since FC6 everything Should Work™ even without any
> >  > /etc/X11/xorg.conf whatsoever.

> >  Not so; I know for a fact that a Synaptics Touchpad will not work
> >  unless there's an entry in xorg.conf for it.  There are probably
> >  others as well.
>
> I've had Synaptics on three laptops (Dell Inspiron 8100, Asus S5A and
> Lenovo ThinkPad T61p), and the touchpad work on all of them. The
> SHMConfig option is only needed to access additional configuration
> options, but basic functionality is available without any
> modifications to xorg.conf.

Here (Toshiba Tecra with both a nipple among the keys and a touchpad) the
touchpad doesn't work at all. Not too bad in my case, as I tend to swipe
over it when typing (with mostly unpleasant results), and I use an external
mouse in any case. The nipple works (but is rather useless with only 2
buttons).