system-* tools' ui independence

Jerry James loganjerry at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 18:52:05 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 7:18 AM, Matej Cepl <mcepl at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 2008-02-28, 17:00 GMT, Jerry James wrote:
>  > The KVM switch in my server room seems to block autodetection
>  > of the mouse and monitor (the keyboard is a vanilla PC105;
>  > I bet if it was some multimedia keyboard that it would also be
>  > configured incorrectly).  I have to explicitly configure the
>  > mouse and monitor in xorg.conf.  I consider that an unfortunate
>  > property of my hardware, rather than a software bug.  Should
>  > I think otherwise?
>
>  That's weird -- we should at least default to something sane
>  (like vanilla PC105 keyboard). Yes, please, file a bug with
>  /var/log/Xorg.0.log and with /etc/X11/xorg.conf you need to use.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough.  The keyboard works fine.  The monitor
is not autodetected, so I get some low resolution, 800x600 I think.  I
also have to turn off the hardware cursor or I get an invisible mouse
pointer.  If I plug the same hardware directly into the computer when
it boots, then it gets detected fine.  The KVM switch appears to be
getting in the way somehow.
--
Jerry James
http://loganjerry.googlepages.com/