Re: Policy proposal for compatibility packages

Jesse Keating wrote:
On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 18:42:59 +0100
Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora leemhuis info> wrote:

The proposal IMHO tries to solve the problem the wrong way. Having
compat-packages in the repo is not the biggest problem -- other apps
in Fedora using those compat-packages IMHO is what we should prevent.

There is a difference between compatible library packages and
compatible development packages.  Compatible libraries make long term
sense.  Compat development packages don't.

I have to disagree here, you can't possible think about all the use cases out there. For example, we ship compat-libstdc++-33.i386, which allows us to run an old legacy C++ executable that requires libstdc++.so.5. Unfortunately, if you have an old legacy library that requires libstdc++.so.5, no luck there, you'll need g++ 3.2 to link with it, i.e. compat-gcc-32-c++ which we no longer ship for Fedora (replaced by the less useful compat-gcc-34-c++). This is an example of a compat development package that would be really useful. Now can I package it and submit it for review ?