Re: Policy proposal for compatibility packages

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 03:16:59PM +0100, Linus Walleij wrote:
> I think Brians proposed policy is GOOD, and would like it approved by
> FESCO.
>
> Maintaining and spending endless time on compat-cruft is another thing that
> keep slowing down Debian/Ubuntu and is clearly a threat to Fedoras swift
> release-cycle. Paid support distros like RHEL can do this a lot better and
> have better motivation for.

Why not let the packagers decide for themselves? Packagers should decide
on their own how the spend their time best. This should not be in the
scope of FESCO.

I can't really see how compat-packages could be a threat to Fedoras
release cycles.

Not trusting packagers is a threat for fedora.

--
Pat