Re: Policy proposal for compatibility packages

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008, Patrice Dumas wrote:

Why not let the packagers decide for themselves?

It's just a policy, it's not Gods commandments. As a policy, we don't publish a plethora of compat-cruft. We (individual packagers) compromise any time we like as usual, and a maintainer with a soft spot for a certain compat-package can probably maintain it without problems.

I see it more like a guideline to the developer who is to make a decision: must I publish a compat-package or can I just discard the old API? Given some harsh words every here and there on breaking APIs you could easily get that impression. And then s/he knows that in Fedora, we love to discard old API:s.

So our community attracts people with this mindset and so forth.

Linus