Why does gdb now give lots of warnings?

Jan Kratochvil jan.kratochvil at redhat.com
Fri Jan 4 16:47:39 UTC 2008

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 17:19:42 +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:
> Jan Kratochvil writes:
>  > I am open for some more convenient interface - currently going to print also
>  > the shared library name there.
>
> That would do it.  Something really simple like "Missing debuginfo for
> shared object XXXXglibc.soXXX".

Suggesting this one?
	Missing debuginfo for shared object ld-linux-x86-64.so.2

There is no easy chance how to install the associated debuginfos using YUM from
such messages.  And `debuginfo-install <appname>' will not work in all cases
- at least not fot dlopen()ed libraries - such as the 'nss*' packages.

Printing the rpm Provides keyword would make it already RPM/Fedora specific
	Missing debuginfo for shared object ld-linux-x86-64.so.2()(64bit)
and still deriving the -debuginfo package name from it is not easy enough.

Possibly printing
	warning: Missing the separate debug info file: /usr/lib/debug/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2.debug
may be more convenient while still usable for YUM?

It would still print
	warning: Missing the separate debug info file: /usr/lib/debug/.build-id/fa/841219472d35412ad631ad0f0fabb78e5c1957.debug
if the .debug file exists but it is not matching the required version
- otherwise that would contradict the purpose of the F8 `build-id' feature
	http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureBuildId

>  > (GDB cannot print anything about rpms.)
>
> I'll take your word for that.

OK, you are right Fedora GDB could; the build-id support messages should be
cross-OS ones, this loading feature is still not imported into upstream GDB and
it is heading there.

Thanks,
Jan