Re: Another selinux rant

On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 08:40 -0800, Ed Swierk wrote:
> On 1/4/08, Tomasz Torcz <tomek crocom com pl> wrote:
> > tar with "--xattrs"?
>
> No, I didn't realize --xattrs existed; the tar info page doesn't
> mention it. Oh, there it is in the man page.

 If I do "info tar" on Fed-8 the second hit for a search on "selinux"
gives the --selinux option and the --xattrs option is visible just below
it (--xattrs includes --selinux).

> Is there some reason why storing extended attributes by default would
> be undesirable? I normally expect tar to carry all relevant metadata
> with it; that's sort of the point of using tar.

 Well we didn't want to do this until the patch for xattrs/ACLs/SELinux
is upstream as it changes the default tar format and GNU tars without
the patch will display a bunch of annoying warnings.
 Esp. given how much tar is used to distribute software, where
perms/xattrs aren't really wanted.

--
James Antill <james antill redhat com>
Red Hat