Re: Init : someone could comment this ?

Jonathan Underwood wrote:
On 06/01/2008, Casey Dahlin <cjdahlin ncsu edu> wrote:
There is work being done in this area for Fedora as well. I've been
working on a parallel booting system for us that also will provide dbus
notifications for the starting of various services. (Hopefully I'll be
leading a hackfest at FUDCon in a few days to get a few more eyes and
hands on the code).

Other than compatability with sysvinit scripts, why was upstart dismissed?

Many options were looked at during the last iteration of this discussion, and by my understanding prcsys was the one that won out. See here: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FCNewInit/RC?highlight=%28fcnewinit%29 There's a few issues with prcsys internally that make it very difficult to add the features we want (dbus etc), as well as some not-so-trivial implementation issues (use of pthreads in a circumstance under which they were a very poor choice), so Harald Hoyer and myself decided that a rewrite was in order, so I went ahead and started working on a new app (which I have titled 'rrn') which is now near feature parity with prcsys. My academic schedule has meant I haven't had enough of it done to be worth showing to anyone until very recently, so I've not been talking too much about it here, but now that its starting to come together, I'd love to start the discussion up again (and of course you can all tell me I'm crazy and to take my little program and go home :).

--CJD