Init : someone could comment this ?

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Sun Jan 6 06:20:47 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-05 at 19:16 -0500, Casey Dahlin wrote:
> As for rewriting some of the scripts themselves in a non-bash
> language, there may be an advantage. I don't know if I like python in
> particular for this roll (maybe something like Haskell that has proven
> to be light and quick as well as nicer to deal with) but python is

Oh please, I hope you're not being serious! I mean Haskell is cool
and all, but it is rather obscure for the vast majority of people,
and the last thing we need is yet another strange language mixed in
such a critical part of the system.

The entire point of having a scripting language in the init scripts
is for the admins to have a chance of making small adjustments easily.
If we use Haskell, we lose 99.99% of the population right there.
We might as well just code them in C: that would provide for faster
start-up AND it will be accessible to most people.

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.