hunspell dictionaries, what's "missing"

Ville-Pekka Vainio vpivaini at cs.helsinki.fi
Wed Jan 9 13:00:17 UTC 2008

Caolan McNamara kirjoitti:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureDictionary now lists the
> languages for which we ship aspell dictionaries but not hunspell ones.
> i.e. Breton, Faeroese, Icelandic, Indonesian, Malayalam, Scots Gaelic
> and Serbian.
>
> Packaging those dictionaries will enable OOo to spell-check your
> language and have the same level of support in
> OOo/evo/gedit/xchat/tomboy/pidgen/KDE (and hopefully firefox
> eventually).

This is not strictly hunspell related, but I've been working on getting the
free Finnish spellchecker and hyphenator Voikko into Fedora, see the thread
at
<https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-December/msg01721.html>
and
<https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-January/msg00667.html>
(for some reason the web interface can't handle threads correctly when the
month/year changes...)

Looking at the FeatureDictionary page, with Voikko we can get direct support
for KDE and Gnome, either through the ispell compatibility binary tmispell or
Enchant. There is also an OpenOffice extension/plugin(/whatever those are
called?) for Voikko at
<http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=156731&package_id=216218>,
I'm planning on packaging that as well, though it does look a bit
complicated...

Firefox and Thunderbird are a bit more difficult. There is a Finnish
spellchecking extension for those at
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:3>. This extension is
able to use Voikko (it works well with the libvoikko I maintain in Fedora),
but it is distributed with a proprietary spellchecker called Soikko, so it
can't go into Fedora. There may be a free software only Voikko extension
coming for Firefox 3, the Voikko developers are working on it, but I'm not
aware of the exact status of that extension currently.

--
Ville-Pekka Vainio