Linux is not about choice [was Re: Fedora too cutting edge?]

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Wed Jan 9 21:37:52 UTC 2008

Thorsten Leemhuis (fedora at leemhuis.info) said:
> So that leaves two choices:
>
> - we could have delayed juju until F8 (or even F9)
> - we could have included juju in F7 (as we did) and made it optional
> (either enabled or disabled by default)
>
> I think the latter is the better solution and a serious option for one
> release.

That way lies madness.

Right now DRI/DRM breaks VT switch and suspend on my laptop. Should we
ship two Intel drivers and two kernels until this is resolved?

During the Fedora 8 devel cycle, NetworkManager didn't support WPA for
a time. Should we have shipped two versions of NetworkManager and let
users choose between them?

If it doesn't work, it's a bug. Fix the bug. Not ship a version for
each set of bugs that exists.

Bill