Linux is not about choice [was Re: Fedora too cutting edge?]

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu Jan 10 04:59:24 UTC 2008

Thorsten Leemhuis (fedora at leemhuis.info) said:
> > Right now DRI/DRM breaks VT switch and suspend on my laptop. Should we
> > ship two Intel drivers and two kernels until this is resolved? [...]
>
> Bugs in a updated package are something totally different (everyone
> tries to avoid them, but they happen, so we have to live with them) then
> switching to a new completely firewire stack that doesn't support
> everything yet what the old stack did.

By this logic, we should have enabled both old IDE and libata and
let the users choose between them at runtime as well.

The way to have a reliable core system is to pick a single supported
interface and fix it. As far as I can tell, the firewire stack now
works, except for an issue with one hardware chipset. While that is
not good for users who have that chipset, it's certainly about par
for the course with many other drivers we have, and I don't see why
that should mean that the whole thing should be switched out.

Bill