Fedora too cutting edge?

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Thu Jan 10 09:40:35 UTC 2008

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Wed, 09.01.08 19:45, Hans de Goede (j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl) wrote:
>
>> Another example of Fedora being to cutting edge is pulseaudio, for prove
>> click this URL:
>
>> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?product=Fedora&version=&component=pulseaudio&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=NEEDINFO&bug_status=MODIFIED&bug_status=ON_DEV&bug_status=FAILS_QA&bug_status=POST&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=
>
> I don't think this BZ excerpt is any good as argument for your
> point.

I agree with that to some part, I've recently been working on getting some
pulseaudio problems in packages I maintain fixed, and when I ran that query I
was a little bit amazed of the results.

Also I've been receiving quite a few bugs for some of my packages related to
sound problems, and often these bugs are caused by people turning of pulseaudio
(not on my advice!) but only turning it of partially, for example they often
still have alsa-plugins-pulseaudio installed and enabled as default alsa sink.

So there are really problems with pulseaudio, or atleast people perceive some
problems as being caused by pa, resulting in them turning pa off.

> A big share of the bugs listed for PA are duplicates. BZ is
> very good for burying people in vast amount of emails due to new or
> updated bug reports. My main job is hacking on PA, not wading through
> BZ. Which is why I tend to ignore bugzilla as good as I can and clean
> it up only just before every release.

And I think this is bad, we need to nourish people who provide valuable
feedback, not ignore them and let BZ tickets rot. Also see Jonathan Dieter
reply for an example of why this is bad.

Why not reserve 30 minutes a day to respond to bug tickets, if you do this
every day, keeping on top of things, then keeping BZ spam in track should be
manageable.

Anyways after my recent bugfixing surrounding pulseaudio, I've already been
thinking about trying to help out with pulseaudio, so as usual I'm willing to
put my code where my mouth is and I'm hereby offering to do pulseaudio bug
triaging for you. But pulseaudio is a complex beast, so I will be needing help
from you. I can do the initial grunt work of filtering duplicates, filtering
configuration errors and trying to make problems reproducable, but after that I
will need help from you. Does this sound like a deal? And once I'm in a stadium
where I need help, how do I reach you in such a way that you do respond in a
reasonable time?

Thanks & Regards,

Hans