Re: Linux is not about choice [was Re: Fedora too cutting edge?]

On Jan 10, 2008 12:45 PM, Chris Adams <cmadams hiwaay net> wrote:
> Once upon a time, David Zeuthen <david fubar dk> said:
> > On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 10:40 -0600, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> > > We are badly in need of system-config-udev. I spent several hours
> > > understanding udev adn building rules for my sound cards and tv cards.
> > > I hadn't done a yum update on my F7 box for weeks/months (lazyness)
> > > did one this week, and it apperently just blew away my custom udev
> > > config
> >
> > Hell no. We are in badly need of this crap just working out of the box.
>
> And how do you know automatically that one of my USB-to-RS232 adapters
> is my UPS (should be /dev/ups), one is my GPS (/dev/gps0), and one is a
> cell phone (/dev/modem)?

I have no idea myself, and I have spent a few hours pondering the
problem. The only solution I have come up with is to keep things as
they are, but generate symantic aliases for them.

Example:

/dev/video1 -> /dev/video_hauppauge_iptv

Far from perfect however, but would be adequate for my needs.

( www.pembo13.com )