Re: Init : someone could comment this ?

On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 09:49 +0100, Tomas Mraz wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 00:46 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > Although this is totally off-topic: I still think the proper fix is
> > something like this:
> >
> > http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/nss-myhostname/
> > http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/nss-myhostname/README.txt
> >
> > I wrote that a while back. Maybe someone wants to dust this off and
> > get it into Fedora and activated by default?
> >
> > This saved me a couple of times on embedded boxes, where each of the
> > devices used a different hostname and I had to guarantee that the
> > hostname stayed resolvable in all cases, with a ro root directory.
>
> This seems like a nice idea - actually even better idea would be to be
> able to pass some arguments to modules in nsswitch.conf and then simply
> put:
>
> hosts: files dns files(conf=/etc/hosts-fallback)

 My understanding was that the hostname thing is done so that bootup
doesn't stop when you have no network ... and the above module doesn't
help much there (you still have to timeout the DNS requests).
 And it still fails in the same way, when there is no network (Ie.
daemon can bind to a specific IP that is the "wrong" one).

--
James Antill <james antill redhat com>
Red Hat