Init : someone could comment this ?

Casey Dahlin cjdahlin at ncsu.edu
Fri Jan 11 13:43:31 UTC 2008

Rudolf Kastl wrote:
> [...]
>> when, and filing bugs against them upstream so that when DNS misbehaves the
>> daemons handle it appropriately.  It should never be a 'working as intended'
>> behavior for a daemon to do things wrong just because DNS was unavailable... the
>> daemon should postpone its operation until it can try to resolve the hostname
>> again later, and keep doing exactly that until it works.
>>
>> In my view the init scripts should not have to handle that situation, but rather
>> the daemon itself should.  Defering the startup is a hack.  Maybe its necessary
>> and maybe its not, but it seems like a poor design either way.
>>

> I am just generally curious... is anyone actively working on a new
> solution? there has been talks about init system replacements now for
> years and well actually lots of discussions and ideas were expressed.
> now i am curious about if anyone is already working on atleast a full
> design document how it should work and look like (besides the old one
> page on the wiki). there are a lot of argument why not to use the
> existing solutions. some are valid some arent (as it is always). but
> what tires me personally a bit is the fact that there is no effort
> beeing done besides making the existing old sysV scripts atleast
> behave a bit according to existing standards (they were largely
> unusable e.g. for clustering before and some still are e.g. due to
> incorrect exit codes).
> If something manifested yet id be happy to take a look at it... just
> direct me to the checkout url please.
>

> one of the things that are often managed is upstart. yet no one even
> found it useful enough to package it for fedora at all. sure in compat
> mode it is just another useless sleeping process hanging around with
> no real benefits to it... but still, it doesent seem to be worth the
> effort to roll and maintain an rpm with it for most people.
>
> there is always lots of criticism about initng. while some of the
> things beeing said are true... some are just myths. ... personally i
> can say ... it just wfm and i also wrote lots of patches for the new
> scripts recently... booting a system in below 15 seconds with NM and
> other fancy stuff enabled is quite appealing to me (especially since
> suspend was broken alot in the last years and at some points still
> is).
>
> there are various other systems aswell. most of them are directed at
> embedded devices.... for that sysV is just pure bloat  and overhead
> and usually they are missing the required scripts to be properly used.
> but ok... not really in the scope of fedora anways (looking at the
> minimal install requirements).
>
> the prcsys solution to parallelize the current sys bootup does improve
> boot performance for me while maintaining backwards compatibility to
> the existing system (with the same crappy scripts that partially
> contain undocumented workarounds) seems to be one of the rather
> unintrusive ways that dont require major changes in any ways.

I'm off to the FUDCon hackfest now. I'm thinking about getting some
people together to try to package Upstart.

The prcsys solution seems to have benefits now, but in the long run it
isn't going to give us things like service management, which we should
be interested in, and it may not give us much of a speedup (theres been
some suggestion that parallelizing scripts ends up not being much of a
bonus).