thinkpad-acpi upstream version?

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Fri Jan 11 18:05:27 UTC 2008

On Friday, January 11, 2008 7:23 am Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > Which video driver?
>
> Intel X3100 graphics, 1680x1050 display, intel video driver.
>
> > Does yours suspend properly?
>
> Yep, though I did have to add my model # to the proper hal quirks file.
> Prior to that, it would often resume to a black screen (though I could get
> a console back via ctrl-alt-f1 then alt-f7 and X would be back). Now, its
> flawless, and gets me straight to the gnome unlock dialog within a few
> seconds. Still not nearly as fast as Mac OS X resumes on my 3 year old
> PowerBook G4, but still pretty damned good.

There are a couple of things to note about these features:
  - the rawhide kernel has bits to suspend/resume intel video devices (should
    be faster than using vbetool)
  - newer versions of the intel driver (2.2+) have a more sophisticated
    backlight control system, see the man page for more details.  it should
    work with the thinkpad_acpi driver via the /sys/class/backlight interface

Jesse