Re: Linux is not about choice [was Re: Fedora too cutting edge?]

On Jan 11, 2008 2:30 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell gmail com> wrote:
> It doesn't seem as sensible as being able to plug into a known
> controller position and get a known device name, particularly in the
> scenario where the drives aren't hot-plug and you want to access a bunch
> of new ones after a reboot and know which is which.

Frankly i like this idea, but I'm unsure of the practicality of it:

What is the highest level which is even aware of the physical location
of said device? I would imagine the BIOS knows, and maybe some really
low level kernel modules but anything above that?

( www.pembo13.com )