Re: Linux is not about choice [was Re: Fedora too cutting edge?]

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
On Jan 11, 2008 2:30 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell gmail com> wrote:
It doesn't seem as sensible as being able to plug into a known
controller position and get a known device name, particularly in the
scenario where the drives aren't hot-plug and you want to access a bunch
of new ones after a reboot and know which is which.

Frankly i like this idea, but I'm unsure of the practicality of it:

What is the highest level which is even aware of the physical location
of said device? I would imagine the BIOS knows, and maybe some really
low level kernel modules but anything above that?

The bios doesn't necessarily know anything except for the one(s) that it might boot. But I think there may be some extra magic in what the kernel does with the names depending on which drive bios used to boot. The stuff in /dev/disk/by-path might be useful for the versions that have it, but I can't see anything for the empty controller positions where the drives aren't connected so the arrangement doesn't make a lot of sense.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com