Policy on introducing new packages for discontinued projects?

Hi There,

I'm working on updating maven2 in Fedora, and one of the dependencies
that it is cascading into is Jakarta Slide. This project hasn't had
updates for a while, and is now officially dead as stated on the main
page:

http://jakarta.apache.org/slide/index.html

The component is not critical to core maven functionality, and can be
disabled. My question is:

What is Fedora policy for introducing new packages for defunct projects?
Specially when those packages provide optional functionality...

IMO the functionality should be disabled until maven2 moves to use a
different project for WebDAV deployment. In the mean time, users using
the Fedora maven2 will continue to be able to use the functionality, but
it will just not work in offline mode (assuming we don't package Slide).

Deepak