Re: compilation architecture

I've used openSUSE (i586) with the same configuration and packages installed and eg. Firefox 3 was started in < 1 sec. I have no benchmarks but everything runs faster and is more responsible.

Our optimalization does nothing compared to > i386 compilation.

2008/1/12, drago01 <drago01 gmail com>:
2008/1/12 Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek <jakub rusinek gmail com>:
> do we need to support legacy cpu's by i386 compilation?
> i586 would make fedora faster even 3 times.
> difference is noticeable.

where are your benchmarks for the "3 times faster" claim?
the i386 packages are already optimized for newer cpus (mtune vs. march)
where it makes sense to have i686 versions there are some (kernel, glibc)