Re: compilation architecture

2008/1/12, Chris Snook <csnook redhat com>:
Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
> So I can say only one thing: "fedora does something in wrong,
> performance-loss way".

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but I know SuSE used to not enable
synchronization in syslogd.  Yes, synchronization slows down your logging, but
it also greatly improves the chances of having a record of why a system crashed,
which is important.

I don't mean this as a knock on SuSE, and I don't think that's why you're seeing
this difference on your desktop, but it's a great example of how people with
different design priorities can make different, reasonable decisions that may
seem wrong to someone with the other priorities.

Performance is all about tradeoffs.  If you actually analyze the problem, you
can usually design an intermediate solution that's good enough for people across
most of the spectrum.  There will always be outliers with special needs, but you
can usually make Fedora (or openSuSE for that matter) satisfy them will a little
careful tweaking.

        -- Chris